2009/12/27

Chinese Challenge!

Our local Chinese church has a very good Sunday-school program which all of our kids enjoy. This past quarter, I (Amy) agreed to try out being a Sunday-school assistant once a month.  Well, that was the original agreement, anyway.  It turned into me being the actual teacher instead of just the assistant.  I wasn't too sure about it at the beginning:
"Eee... I've never taught in Chinese before..."
"That's ok, you can teach in English -- a lot of the parents want their kids to learn English anyway."
So, my first Sunday, I started off in English... and that lasted about 5 seconds (as I knew it would) with blank stares from all the 3-4 year-olds (except the two blondies, who were actually understanding everything in Sunday School for the first time! :-P).  So, I tried to go back and forth, saying everything twice in both languages.  (i.e. scrambling in my head for super-simple English, then scrambling for how in the world to translate it all!)  It did take a bit of extra effort, but it was a good challenge, and it gave me some good Chinese practice in front of a fairly non-threatening audience. :-P

No comments: