2010/06/16

It's simple: Just add potatoes, carrots, and WORMS.

As anyone who has tried to learn a tonal language knows, "If you don't remember the tone, you don't remember the word!"  Tonight we had some of our good Taiwanese friends over for dinner.  I made a simple slow-cooker pot roast.  When they asked how to make it, I said (in Chinese), "It's super-simple.  Just put the meat on the bottom, add potatoes, carrots, and "onions"...  I knew from the smirks I hadn't gotten it quite right, so asked what I, in actual, had said.  Apparently my wrong pronunciation on "onion" sounded like, "just add carrots, potatoes, and worms".  We all had a good laugh, and I will probably forever remember the correct tone for onion from now on!  Anyhowz, next time I make a pot roast, maybe I should add a little extra flavor!  Who's on for dinner?!? :-P

No comments: